Access to Justice and Legal Professionals Department
The functions of the Department of Access to Justice and Legal Professionals are:
- Oversee the conduct of legal proceedings for legal aid providers
- Monitoring and overseeing the legal professionals such as public notary, lawyers, law, firms, law organizations etc.
- Regulating the registration of certificate of marriage and divorce, certification of public notary legal statement etc.
- Monitor regularly and report to the minister on legal aid status
- Organize monthly legal aid coordination meeting among legal professionals including public notaries, law firms etc.
- Inform the Somaliland citizens their rights and obligation covered by the constitution.
- Introduce the community full information about the three-legal system of the country.
- Teach the community new laws and old laws of the country
- Prepare public legal awareness messages through the media
- Facilitating the effectiveness use of ADR in litigation and agency administrative disputes
- Developing manuals for the use of the ADR
- Enforcement of alternative dispute solutions in all the communities including the traditional norms and conflict resolutions
- Holding meeting with the traditional leaders
- Ensure that Somaliland people get justice
- Support of the victims to get the rights to access to justice
- Capacity building of the justice stakeholders in areas of access to justice
- Oversee the implementation of policies and laws by the judiciary organs of Somaliland
- Facilitate access to justice by the civil society in Somaliland up village and urban level
- Improving the coordination and collaboration between all the justice stakeholders
- Development of the requirement and standards for legal professionals including public notary, lawyers, law firms, law organizations etc. and ensuring the application of those standards
- Coordinate the formulation of the policies, framework and programmes to support the legal professionals, legal aid, legal awareness, judicial affairs and alternative dispute resolution in Somaliland
- Preparation and implementation of the five (5) year strategic plan and budget for the department.
- Preparation and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system and tools for the Department
- Preparation and implementation of the capacity development for all staff based on the needs assessment and in-line with the Civil Service Commission (CSC) guidelines and requirements.
- Preparation of the annual financial estimates in consultation with the heads of sections
- Coordinating the formulation of the department’s risk management framework, risk profiling, risk reporting and monitoring
The department is divided into four sections which include the Legal Professionals and
Judicial Affairs Section
Legal Awareness Section
Legal Aid Section
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Section
Muhiyadiin Mohamed Abdi
Director of Access to Justice and Legal Professionals