Department of Legal Affairs
The following are the functions of the Department of Legislative Drafting and Policy
- Coordination of drafting and formulation of all the legislation and policies required by the state in consultation with all the stakeholders concerned by the respective law and policies
- Ensure research and study of the existing laws and come up with legal updates required
- Development of legal requirements of the state research plan with all its requirements
- Coordination of the review all the legislations developed in Somaliland to ensure that they are developed in legal way, in line with the Constitution and Islamic principles
- Coordination of the development and review important policies of the state of Somaliland as required
- Coordination of the development and update website to be uploaded with all the legislations to facilitate easy public access
- Coordination of the development and implementation of alternative mechanisms of dissemination of the reformed law and policies to public and relevant stakeholders
- Coordination of the formulation of the policies, framework and programs to support the legislative drafting, legislative reforming, law and policy dissemination in Somaliland
- Preparation and implementation of the five (5) year strategic plan and budget for the department.
- Preparation and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system and tools for the Department
- Preparation and implementation of the capacity development for all staff based on the needs assessment and in-line with the Civil Service Commission (CSC) guidelines and requirements.
- Preparation of the annual financial estimates in consultation with the heads of sections
- Coordinating the formulation of the department’s risk management framework, risk profiling, risk reporting and monitoring
The department is divided into three sections which include the Policy Formulation and
Legislative Reforming Section
Legal Dissemination Sections.
Sharmake Aare Eid
Director of Legal Affairs