Department of Prisons and Human Rights
Department of Prisons is a Department administered the policy planning of SL Prisons and Rehabilitation Centres and has three Main Sections:
- Human Rights Section
- Parole and Probation Section
- Prisons and Rehabilitation Section
The following are the functions of the Department of Prisons and Human Rights: –
- Promote and protect human rights, including the rights of persons under any form of detention in Somaliland
- Establish and monitor the mechanisms of prisons and inmates
- Monitor and implement parole and probation systems
- Organize skills and training programmers for prisons and human rights
- Coordination of regional prisons management
- Protection of human rights and international conventions in place
- Oversee the prisons and correction centers in Somaliland to ensure that convicted people get their rights while in prisons or correction centers
- Study and develop capacity building needs of custodian corps in the area human rights and protection of the detainees
- Research and study of the attitudinal change interventions required by the prison in mates during their detention and come up suitable comprehensive set of interventions
- Ensure that the convicted people get the behavioral changes and skills required to ensure that good behavior persons can contribute to the communities when finished with their sentences
- Providing formal and informal education for the Prison Inmates giving special attention to the Juveniles and Female inmates.
- Ensuring the accessibility on legal services and legal education in Prisons both correctional officers and Prison inmates.
- Supervision and mentoring of the jail officers on how to deal with the prison inmates
- Coordinate the formulation of the policies, framework and programmes to support the inmates’ human rights, rehabilitation and prisons, parole and probation in Somaliland
- Preparation and implementation of the five (5) year strategic plan and budget for the department.
- Preparation and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system and tools for the Department
- Preparation and implementation of the capacity development for all staff based on the needs assessment and in-line with the Civil Service Commission (CSC) guidelines and requirements.
- Preparation of the annual financial estimates in consultation with the heads of sections
- Coordinating the formulation of the department’s risk management framework, risk profiling, risk reporting and monitoring.