Department of Women and Children
The Functions of the Department of Women and Children are as follows:
- Coordinate registration and licensing yearly all children right activist in the
Community, collect their reports to prepare national yearly child protection report.
- Establish and promote national children protection information collection system
- Promote any possible policy against the children protection violations.
- Advocate saving the children affected by the divorce to prevent them to be street Children through promotion of their basic right principals.
- Develop special policy on the children affected by HIV/Aids.
- Establish child protection restorative justice environment in Somaliland community.
- Develop peace education system in the community to prevent children to be in Conflict with the law.
- Develop special mechanisms to promote child protection in schools both public and Private sector to avoid and eliminate the cruel punishment existing in the schools and Koranic school.
- Equip the school teacher’s peace-education and restorative justice knowledge to build their children communication capacity.
- Promote Child Right Act in Somaliland
- Organize national public charter against the rape and FGM.
- Harmonization of the good traditional law practices with the state law
- Advocacy on women political leadership participation.
- Research and studies the impact of divorce to the live span of women and children.
- Coordinate formulation and implementation of the policies, procedures, guidelines and regulations for the protection of justice for the vulnerable people in Somaliland including women, children, minorities and IDPs
- Preparation of framework and programmers to support and implementation of Seamless mainstream of the gender justice issues affecting the vulnerable including the women, children, minorities and IDPs etc.
- Ensure access to justice by the vulnerable groups such as women, children, minorities and IDPs
- Preparation and implementation of the five (5) year strategic plan and budget for the department.
- Preparation and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system and tools for the Department
- Preparation and implementation of the capacity development for all staff based on the needs assessment and in-line with the Civil Service Commission (CSC) guidelines and requirements.
- Preparation of the annual financial estimates in consultation with the heads of sections
- Coordinating the formulation of the department’s risk management framework, risk Profiling, risk reporting and monitoring.
Department of Women and Children has three Main Sections:
- Child protection
- Juvenile justice
Ismahan Ibrahim Abdilahi
Director of Women and Children Department